Wednesday 1 October 2008

Day 24

I've done it! My first 100% zero waste day of the week. So it is possible and surprisingly normal.

Breakfast was toast, butter and jam to accompany my essential mug of tea. Lunch was the leftovers of yesterday's dinner, carried to work in a recycled takeaway container and reheated in the microwave. Dinner was tortilla (aka Spanish omelette) with sweetcorn and beetroot. I don't do puddings midweek - just a piece of fruit.

I baked some chocolate chip cookies for my daughters' lunchboxes tomorrow. Chocolate chips come in plastic packets so I used bars of Divine milk chocolate cut into pieces. I've saved the inner foil wrappers to make recycled Christmas cards - my half term project.

There was another article in the Evening Post. It was visitor who told me about it. He also told me about Scoopaway, a natural and organic wholefood shop on the Gloucester Road, where you help yourself to cereals, pulses, dried fruit, nuts etc. It's a fair way from where I live but I could get there by bus. Sounds worth a visit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! what a successful day - good to hear about the shop near you where you can buy loose goodies.

Wishing you another wonderful zero waste day.

Well done!

Mrs G x

Alice said...

hooray! well done!!!
You got me thinking about waste-free cookie baking... may need to change the chocolate I use! I assume there is no way to recycle that 'foil packed' wrapping that crisps and chocolate come in??

x

Anonymous said...

Hi Gai,

Well done on the Zero.

Finding a source of loose dried food for containers is excellent. Are they a countrywide business?

Almost Mrs Average said...

Congratulations. Not many days to go ;-D

just Gai said...

Hi Alice
I can recycle aluuminium foil in my black recycling box. I have n authority for this, but if it stays scruched once I've crushed it, I reckon it qualifies. I guess the stuff you're talking about springs back when released. In which case I don't think it can be recycled. The only way to find out for certain is to write to the manufacturer.

John - I don't know whether Scoopaway is a countrywide business but I shall make enquiries when I visit.