Sunday 28 September 2008

Day 21

Our iron has come to the end of its life. The protective covering on the flex has worn away and the wires are exposed. We've tried patching it up but it hasn't worked and it's now dangerous. So yesterday I bought a new iron.

Happily there is no unrecyclable packaging with the new iron but I now have to dispose of the old one. I'm sure it's not right to just chuck it in the bin so I shall email the council for guidance. I suspect it can be disposed of at a household recycling centre but neither of Bristol's centres are easily accessible by public transport. The alternative is a special collection, but I don't know whether this is possible for one iron and how much it will cost.

I have another potential piece of waste - a broken plate. However, before I consign it to the bin I am going to try and see if there is anyone who might like to recycle it by using it to make a mosaic. I know Windmill Hill City Farm used to run mosaic classes so I shall phone them this week.

My, I am going to be busy!

The last bin of this week is rather full:
  • a Tetley tea bag packet including its reseal sticker - but before I put it out on Thursday I am going to contact Tetley's just to be sure that it cannot be recycled, as it seems to be made of paper, albeit with a shiny coating
  • plastic packaging from Tesco's ham
  • broken rubber band
  • 2 blister packs
  • plastic seal from Sainsburys single cream carton
  • plastic label from Sainsburys spring onions
  • plastic peg used to hold together the pair of boots my elder daughter ordered from Next

This brings my week's unrecyclable rubbish to 135g plus an iron.

Tomorrow the challenge begins for real. I'm quietly confident that I can do it, but one thing I have learned about waste is that it sneaks up on you when you least expect it, so I shall have to keep my wits about me.

Good luck to everyone who is taking the challenge.

PS I have scanned the Evening Post article but don't know how to display it on my blog. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gai,

For any item which has plastic packaging look for alternatives. That is the best way. Using containers is also a good way of ditching unwanted packaging.

Best of luck with the challenge.

Anonymous said...

It's day One for you, Just Gai - the best of luck.
Have a wonderful day and good luck with the iron too :)

Mrs G

just Gai said...

Thanks John and Mrs Green. I know you (and Mrs A) are rooting for me, which is a great encouragement.

Almost Mrs Average said...

I've just had a thought about the scanned article, if it's a JPG, BMP or PNG image, you should be able to import it into the blog post as a normal photo, but I guess the problem there is that it would be too small.

Is there any chance you could email it to me because I would love to read it. karen@therubbishdiet.co.uk

Here's another request too. I'd love to feature your experience on my blog next week. Let me know if it's of interest and I'll send over some questions. Lots of love, Mrs A ;-D

just Gai said...

Hi Mrs A
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll consult my husband about them tomorrow, as he knows more about computers than I do. If not I'll email it.
I'd be thrilled to feature on your blog and will do my best to answer your questions.
Cheers

Almost Mrs Average said...

Thanks Gareth - I've been looking for your email address and I can't find it anywhere, could you email your details and I will drop you a line with all the stuff. Many thanks K :-D